STAR-Center is pleased to invite you to our 2019 conference in Pittsburgh!
Friday, May 10, 2019
7:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
(Registration: 7:30 to 8:30 a.m.)
3959 Fifth Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15260
Director, STAR-Center Outreach
Star-Center is a suicide prevention program for teens and young children within the UPMC-Western Psychiatric Hospital, Department of Psychiatry. From it's inception in 1986, the program has been primarily funded through an appropriation from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania to the University of Pittsburgh.
STAR-Center is a program that combines clinical and outreach services designed to combat the problem of child and adolescent suicide. We provide outpatient assessment and treatment for depressed and anxious children and teens. We also offer acute treatment to depressed and suicidal teens via our Intensive Outpatient Program (IOP).
Our annual conferences strive to disseminate what we have learned about best practice clinical care into practical guidelines for educational and community settings. STAR-Center is devoted to providing training opportunities for students and psychiatric residents as well as contributing to the future development of research designed to study the pressing issues related to child and adolescent suicide.
At the conclusion of this conference, participants should be able to:
- Describe research findings that support an association between sleep and suicidality in youth
- Recognize ways in which sleep disturbance my contribute to suicide risk in youth
- Discuss approaches to the assessment and treatment of sleep that may aid in identification and treatment of suicidal youth
- Identify evidence-informed strategies for preventing, identifying, and addressing depression in school settings
- Identify implementation challenges in addressing depression and suicide prevention in school settings
- Identify strategies to overcome these implementation challenges
This program is appropriate for clinical and educational personnel.
Registration Fee - $60
WPSY/University of Pittsburgh Employee Registration Fee - $30
The registration fee includes a light breakfast (coffee/tea/juices/muffins, etc.) and continuing education credits.
PLEASE NOTE: Participants will receive keynote and workshop handouts via e-mail prior to the conference. We will no longer provide hard copies of keynote or workshop handouts the day of the conference. Please print a copy and bring it with you if you prefer to have a hard copy the day of the conference.
Full tuition must accompany the registration form. A $10 administration fee will be deducted from all refunds for cancellations. All refund requests must be in writing and received in the office no later than Thursday, May 2, 2019. There will be no refunds if a cancellation occurs on the date of the event. Please return registration form by Friday, May 3, 2019.
Instructions for registering - GO TO:
1. Click on ‘Register Now’ (small box at bottom of page)
2. If "STAR-Center Conference" appears under ‘Shopping Cart’, click on ‘Checkout’ (think of this as ‘continue’).
3. Register as a new registrant, or sign in if you already have an account (username is your e-mail). You do not have to add in information about your insurance.
4. When the conference name appears again, click on ‘Checkout’ (again, think of this as ‘continue’)
5. Continuing Education Credit – Please use dropdown list for credential or choose Not Applicable/NA (you must complete this). Click on ‘continue’.
6. Please answer all questions regarding workshop choices.
7. Enter your promotional code if applicable (please see above). Click on ‘Apply to Total’!
8. Add credit card information if applicable, and click on ‘Process Payment’.
9. Complete Transaction and print your receipt.
Continuing Education Credits
Continuing Education Credit is available for this program for Psychologists, Counselors, Licensed/Clinical Social Workers, Licensed Professional Counselors, National Board Certified Counselors, Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists: LSW/LCSW/LPC/LMFT, PA Educators, and other professionals. Please click here for detailed information about Continuing Education Credits.
We encourage participation by all individuals. If you have a disability or require special
accommodations, advance notification of any special needs will help us better
serve you. Please notify us of your
needs at least two weeks in advance of the program by calling Nancy
Mundy at 412-204-9090.